Nonprofit and Community Resources for Montgomery County Residents Impacted by the Federal Government Shutdown

A Wider Circle has created a dedicated fund to support those who are financially impacted by the shutdown with food and other household essentials.  Visit their website or call 301-608-3504 for more information.

Interfaith Works aids families in crisis and those potentially facing homelessness.  Updated assistance information tailored to those impacted by the government shutdown will be posted on the organization’s web page.  Visit their website or call 301-762-8682, for more information.

Manna Food Center is at the center of ending hunger in the County. Visit Manna’s website, for a full list of their programs, food distribution sites and drop off locations.  Individuals wishing to donate can go to or call 301-424-1130.

The Capital Area Food Bank is holding a free pop-up market to distribute free produce and groceries to government employees and contractors affected by the shutdown.  Up to 250 people can receive food with a valid ID or federal contractor ID.  On Jan. 12 from 9 a.m. to noon, the pop-up market will be located at Giant Food located at 12051 Rockville Pike. The organization has set a goal of providing 300,000 extra meals through fund raising efforts.  For more information visit .

Shepherd’s Table is in downtown Silver Spring and is prepared to serve federal workers or anyone in need of nutritious meals or clothing.  Their dining room is open every day and all are welcome.  For more information visit their website or call 301-585-6463.

Women Who Care Ministries in Montgomery Village can provide food assistance for five to seven days. For more information, visit their website or call 301-963-8588.

The County’s Health and Human Services Eviction Prevention Program provides crisis intervention assistance to qualified individuals and families.  This includes emergency financial assistance and/or shelter to families and adults who are homeless or at high risk of losing housing.  The program also provides help for overdue utility payments and welfare avoidance grants are available for eligible temporary cash assistance applicants.  Visit or call 311.

The Office of Landlord-Tenant Affairs in the County’s Department of Housing and Community Affairs can provide mediation assistance for tenants and landlords.  For more information call 311.

The County’s Office of Consumer Protection can provide advice to resident on their rights and ability to cancel contracts. For more information call 311.

Unemployment Insurance Applications

If you are a federal employee and have been furloughed as a result of the federal shutdown, you may file for unemployment using the Federal Civilian Employee Application for Benefits or you may call 410-853-1700 or contact an unemployment insurance claim center.

Brought to you by
Collaboration Council
Montgomery County, MD